Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Markwart 605 XO cap values

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Basplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2017
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Hi everybody,
    I am the newest addition to the ALTEC fan club with a purchase of a 605A I'm very excited about turning into an awesome mono speaker! I'm going to build the Markwart 605 XO and I have a question about cap values. It requires 3 caps - 4.7uf, 5uf, and 7uf. The options for 5 and 7 are limited in that there are only a few available that are affordable. I managed to find a 5uf Genteq/GE Film Oil cap, but the closest I could find for the 7uf is 6.8 - Obbligato Film Oil. Would using 6.8 be acceptable, or am I better off finding a 7? For most things, I would think 6.8 is fine, but I'm just not sure how close these tolerances on the MW XO need to be.

    Crossover for reference: http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart...605a_brev1.pdf

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Welcome to the hostboard!

    For instance on my xover they called out for 6uf, 12uf, and 25uf caps. I couldn't find the 25uf so I bought the 24uf. When I tested them before install they tested at 25.2uf and 25.3uf. Good enough for me!

    Some people want to hit the values exactly. I am one that is ok with the values being within the 3-5%.

    I also tested each one of my caps and made sure each crossover was "even" from side to side with caps values.

    I have also heard of people buying many more caps than they need, testing them, and then using the closest values.

    If you search the hostboard there are at least a few recent threads on Markwart's xover. I also emailed Jeff with a few questions and he was very helpful.

    Please post some pics when you are done!

    Altec 604G Markwart xover (1st attempt)

    Jeff Markwart's 604-8G crossover

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member Basplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2017
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Welcome to the hostboard!

    For instance on my xover they called out for 6uf, 12uf, and 25uf caps. I couldn't find the 25uf so I bought the 24uf. When I tested them before install they tested at 25.2uf and 25.3uf. Good enough for me!

    Some people want to hit the values exactly. I am one that is ok with the values being within the 3-5%.

    I also tested each one of my caps and made sure each crossover was "even" from side to side with caps values.

    I have also heard of people buying many more caps than they need, testing them, and then using the closest values.

    If you search the hostboard there are at least a few recent threads on Markwart's xover. I also emailed Jeff with a few questions and he was very helpful.

    Please post some pics when you are done!

    Altec 604G Markwart xover (1st attempt)

    Jeff Markwart's 604-8G crossover
    Great info, thank you! I will definitely post some pictures and my results when this is finished!

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Well, the value of the cap, or its closeness to a schematic's proposed value, is NOT that important. Most people get this wrong all the time, priority - wise.

    What is REALLY important is the QUALITY of the cap, if you want the best possible sonic result.

    The quality of the materials and construction is always more important, than hitting an absolute value. It is nice, for values to be the same, in stereo applications, ( which you don't have in mono.)

    See my recent post #7, on crossover caps, in my current thread.

    So far, its hard to get answers on the question of high quality caps up here. The common goal is " as cheap as possible " and not " as good as possible ". Maybe one should talk to some advanced high-end speaker builders.

    Low Ohms .......Jeff Medwin
    The comment about only liking caps that are as "cheap as possible" is incorrect. We actually like how oil caps sound. The fact that they are also inexpensive is just an added bonus.

    People have been using oil caps and Altecs for over half a century. There is just good synergy there.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    The comment about only liking caps that are as "cheap as possible" is incorrect. We actually like how oil caps sound. The fact that they are also inexpensive is just an added bonus.

    People have been using oil caps and Altecs for over half a century. There is just good synergy there.

    Hi there,

    Respectfully, Don, I don't think so at all !! Oil Caps are NOT the best possible caps, and I will NOT use them on my ALTECS - ever !!!

    They just don't cut it compared to MODERN caps. I mean, IF you are willing to spend the money ( and on occasions I am) there are FAR FAR better sounding caps than mushy - midrangey oil caps. ( People often employ oilers to " smooth out" all the grunge from their poor sounding solid state amps, and poor system wiring ) You just haven't heard it yet - good ALTEC systems with modern caps.

    Modern caps are far superior. WE have modern caps, sometimes audiophile, sometimes industrial and designed for pulse applications, that simply, easily, totally destroy ALL oil caps. The problem is, not every one knows what to use. That was the purpose of my other thread. But is seems like everyone up here is asleep, unaware !! Snoozing.

    As one example, on a well set up ALTEC ( that ass/u/me s a LOT ) try any 4 uF oil to a 4 uF DynamiCapE ( available from Mike Percy ) with doctored leads. And there are even FAR better comparisons I could suggest, but can't for now, because they are still in the evaluation stage.

    Lets get beyond this "mid - fi" and wasting ALTEC speakers' potential, ....and get into high fidelity !!!


    Jeff Medwin Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; February 27th, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member Basplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2017
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Hi there,

    Respectfully, Don, I don't think so at all !! Oil Caps are NOT the best possible caps, and I will NOT use them on my ALTECS - ever !!!

    They just don't cut it compared to MODERN caps. I mean, IF you are willing to spend the money ( and on occasions I am) there are FAR FAR better sounding caps than mushy - midrangey oil caps. ( People often employ oilers to " smooth out" all the grunge from their poor sounding solid state amps, and poor system wiring ) You just haven't heard it yet - good ALTEC systems with modern caps.

    Modern caps are far superior. WE have modern caps, sometimes audiophile, sometimes industrial and designed for pulse applications, that simply, easily, totally destroy ALL oil caps. The problem is, not every one knows what to use. That was the purpose of my other thread. But is seems like everyone up here is asleep, unaware !! Snoozing.

    As one example, on a well set up ALTEC ( that ass/u/me s a LOT ) try any 4 uF oil to a 4 uF DynamiCapE ( available from Mike Percy ) with doctored leads. And there are even FAR better comparisons I could suggest, but can't for now, because they are still in the evaluation stage.

    Lets get beyond this "mid - fi" and wasting ALTEC speakers' potential, ....and get into high fidelity !!!


    Jeff Medwin Low Ohms
    Thanks for your posts, Jeff! It seems to me that the best sound is really in the ear of the beholder, and I've heard as many people rave about the benefits of modern caps as I have the oil. With the sheer number of their fans, it seems that PIO/film oil caps have some legitimate pluses too. Taste in sound, equipment used, and especially the space/listening environment all have an impact on what works. Given the large propensity for oil caps, I think I'm going to give them a go. If I totally hate them, then well, I'll know then where I stand! I will admit too that major reason I think for my choosing these is that the film oil caps seem to be the best value for the money that I can find now. I'll keep this thread posted as to what I find!

  7. #7
    Junior Hostboard Member Basplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2017
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    I just went to a local army surplus and found my caps for the Altec - old GE Dielekrol 5 and 7uf. These will go in the HF part of the crossover. I know the more recent Dielekrol's are film oil, but I'm not sure how old these are. Could be PIO? Anybody know? Either way, I think they will sound great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Basplin; February 27th, 2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Very cool. Those should be similar in composition to the newer GE caps. I would try them out and see how they sound

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Quote Originally Posted by Basplin View Post
    Could be PIO?
    Non PCB, so no, what they call HAZY film foil. You could do a lot worse [scroll down to pg. 11]: https://www.geindustrial.com/catalog...rmonFiltrs.pdf

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Markwart 605 XO cap values

    Like Basplin just mentioned, there are many people using oil caps who love them. Versus one person saying spend 100x more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.